Friday, July 28, 2017

Roman Joshua Ewell's Birth Story

So Roman is now 7 months old, I've wanted to share his birth story for awhile now and didn't want to type it all on Facebook or Instagram, but I totally forgot that I had a blog account, haha...since clearly I haven't written anything in years! But this is a good spot to keep memories like this. Also, since this is a birth story blog, it's going to have some details that would be expected, so...enjoy! :)

So I want to back up just a little bit before I got pregnant with Roman.  It was December 2015, Josh & I had been trying to get pregnant again for about 3 months (if you don't remember it took us almost 2 years to get pregnant with Mylee). I had taken a pregnancy test and it was positive!! I was so excited to tell Josh that I facetimed him that moment to tell him! We were so excited! So I had an appointment and I was only 7 weeks, my doctor told me that it was probably too early to see the baby but we would look anyway. So we saw the sac and saw a small something that looked like it was the baby. My doctor wasn't worried, said everything looked great and to have a bigger ultrasound in about 3 weeks to get a better measurement to figure out a due date which was about August 29, 2016.  So 3 weeks later I go in for my ultrasound and all we could find is a sac with no baby.  The tech told me to go see Dr. Syndergaard right away and she would send the images to him.  So after meeting with him, he told me that what I had was a Blighted Ovum, where a sac forms and no baby, but your body acts as if you are pregnant with all the hormones, it would eventually lead to a miscarriage, but I chose to get a D&C surgery.

After my surgery my doctor told me that the sooner I tried to get pregnant again the better the chances were of getting pregnant, and he was RIGHT! 2 months after my surgery I found out that I was pregnant with Roman! We were so happy! But about 2 weeks after finding out I was pregnant, I was at Walmart when I felt like I had just started my period...(we all know that feeling ladies!).  I quickly ran home to find quite a bit of blood in my underwear! I called Josh in a panic and then called my doctor. They got me in the next day for an ultrasound. The tech told me not to worry that it was just an implantation bleed and everything looked good although I was only 6 weeks along we couldn't see the baby.  Fast forward to 4 weeks later we had another ultrasound and saw Roman! It was as if we could finally breathe and relax.

My pregnancy with Roman was so different from Mylee. I was more uncomfortable, I gained more weight, but I wasn't as sick!! But I ate way more junk with him than every! I craved Orange soda and Rootbeer, and Taco Bell.....things I haven't had in YEARS!! I did Crossfit the entire pregnancy, I even PR'd on my deadlift by 20lbs, I felt good for the most part until my hips started moving..ouch! But it was another pleasant pregnancy!

My due date with Roman was December 21, 2016, almost exactly a year after finding out I was pregnant with my blighted ovum.  So I wasn't worried about going to my due date since Mylee came 3 weeks early, well that definitely was not his plan.  At my 39 week appointment my doctor stripped my membranes, I DON'T recommend that to anyone....OUCH! I also wanted to have another all natural labor, but since his due date was so close to Christmas I didn't want to go that far so I decided to get induced on Friday December 16 if I hadn't gone into labor by then. I had TONS of Braxton-hicks contractions but these ones didn't even dilate me! When I went in Friday morning to be induced at 7am, I was at 2cm and 80% effaced. I wanted to go all natural so my doctor broke my water at 8:30am and we waited, also I had tested positive for strep b so I had to get antibiotics before giving birth. So since I hadn't been having any consistent contractions I had to be put on Pitocin, my nurse started my on a drip of Pitocin at 11am.  By 11:05 I was having 10/10 pain with the strongest contractions imaginable, I had never experienced so much pain in my life. By 11:30 I asked for some fentanyl for pain(which by the way didn't do a dang thing) my nurse checked me and I had dilated to a 4 and I asked for an epidural. At this point I didn't know how I could possibly make it through another contraction, that Pitocin is crazy stuff! It was about 11:45 when my nurse came in to tell me that my epidural was coming soon. My sister then came into the room, I was in so much pain that I didn't want anyone in the room so I had asked her to leave. As she was leaving I was having a contraction and I felt Roman start to come out....haha no sure if he actually was but that's exactly how it felt, I was thinking that Josh or my sister is going to have to catch this baby because he was coming.  I asked my sister to hurry and get the nurse. The nurse finally came in not too worried and checked me.  She told my that the bad news was that I wasn't going to be getting the epidural, but the good news was that I was ready to start pushing!! I couldn't believe that I went from a 4 to a 10 in 30-35 minutes.  I remember the nurses running around to get everything ready, and me yelling at them to get my doctor!! I was a little crazy from the pain! My doctor finally got to the room as I was pushing. I remember giving 2 pushes and then the third final push Roman Joshua Ewell was born after being in labor for an hour at 12:12pm weighing 7 lbs 1 oz and 20.5 inch! I couldn't believe that after Roman and the placenta had been delivered by pain was absolutely gone! What a relief it was! We were so happy to finally have him in our arms!!











No comments:

Post a Comment